With the time the performance of Laptop battery changes drastically. A new one gives a backup of around 3 Hrs easily but in a year only it comes down to 1.5 Hrs or may be low. That makes one think how to get better battery life for laptop. Its always good to use the best practices to get the best out of your Battery. These are some of tips to extend the battery life:
- A laptop battery’s health deteriorates the more you charge and discharge it, running it from a power source will make your battery remain in a state of charge/recharge. Instead, when your battery gets to near 100% charged, unplug it from the power and plug it in again when it is low.
- Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the Li-ion battery. While on the other hand for nickel-cadmium batteries, discharge the battery completely at least once in a month.
- If you are using your laptop more as a desktop, I would suggest you to remove its battery and use directly from power supply.
- Never use your laptop directly on bed. If you have to use it on bed put some hard stuff under it. If you look closely on the back of your laptop, it stands on four miniature legs, which allow the heat to pass from it. When you put it on bed or some other surfaces like it, there will be no space for heat to pass and it can harm your computer and the battery in long run.
- Try cleaning your laptop battery contacts at least once every few months. This can be done by using a cotton swab and alcohol.
- It is also a good practice to charge the battery when your laptop is turned off.