Many users often unlock the Bootloaders of their Smartphones to install custom ROMs or to root their device. It’s been about two years ago when HTC’s CEO Pete Chou confirmed that the company will not lock the bootloaders of their devices any more. But since then, it’s only HTC One Developer Edition which has an unlocked bootloader.
So we still have to unlock the bootloaders of other HTC devices. In this guide we are talking about the HTC EVO 4G LTE. I’ll explain the instructions briefly that how we can unlock the bootloader of not only HTC EVO 4 G LTE, but other HTC Smartphones too. We’ll be using the method provided by the company.
- Unlocking the bootloader may void the warranty of the Smartphone
- This guide is suitable for only HTC EVO 4G LTE and for some other HTC devices too. Don’t try this guide for devices of other manufacturers.
- We are not responsible for any damage to your device. Do it at your own risk.
- Keep the Back Up of all your data as unlocking the bootloader will reset your device to factory settings.
- Charge your device before you start the unlocking process.
- Reset Google Wallet if you have an NFC equipped device, it’s to prevent the risk of bricking of your device.
- Windows running Computer System.
- HTC Sync: Download for Windows here.
- Android SDK: Download it from here.
- Go to HTCdev website and register there.
- After complete registration, Log in and click on “Unlock Bootloader” and then on “Get Started”.
- Now you’ll be directed to a page where you’ll be asked to select the device you want to unlock. Click on the “Select Your Device” dropdown menu, but you’ll not find the “HTC EVO 4G LTE” in the list. So select the “All Other Supported Models” (you’ll find it at the end of the list). Now click on “Begin Unlock Bootloader”.
- You’ll see a window asking you to confirm that you surely want to unlock the bootloader of your device. Click on “YES”.
- Now, in order to continue you’ll have to accept the two Legal Terms. Check the both boxes and then click on “Proceed to Unlock Instructions”.
- As the HTC EVO 4g LTE has a non-removable battery, you’ll have to restart your device by long pressing the “Power Key” and then selecting the “Restart”. Now while the device restarting, hold down the “Volume Down” button to start the device in Bootloader mode.
- Now use the “Volume Buttons” to move the Highlight to the “FASTBOOT” and then press the “Power Button”.
- Connect your device to the Computer via a USB Cable.
- Now run the “SDK Manager” which is an “.exe” file. You can find it from: C Drive>Program Files>Android>android-sdk-windows.
- You’ll see a window with number of packages for you to update. You need to install “Android SDK Platform” Tools and “Android SDK Tools”.
- After complete installation, find the following files and copy them to a new folder i.e. “C:\Android-sdk”.
– “adb.exe” and “AdbWinApi.dll”. You can find these file from: C Drive>Program Files>Android>android-sdk-windows>platform-tools.
– “fastboot.exe”. Find this file from: C Drive>Program Files>Android>android-sdk-windows>tools.
[Note: In latest Windows Android Tools release, the “fastboot.exe” file could be unavailable. In such case, extract the file from pervious release here.]
- Now go to “Start” and write “cmd” in the search bar.
- You’ll find “cmd.exe” file. Open it; the “Command Prompt” window will appear.
- Now navigate to the folder you just created by typing “cd c:\Android-sdk” in the Command Prompt.
- Now type “fastboot oem get_identifier_token” in the Command Prompt and press Enter.
- You’ll see some text. Now Right Click on the Command Prompt window and select “Mark”. Now highlight the text as shown below in the picture. (Starting from “<<<< Identifier cut following message >>>>” and ending to “<<<<< Identifier Token End >>>>>”. Don’t highlight the text on the right side of every line. It could be “INFO” or “<bootloader>”.)
- Now again Right Click on the Title Bar, go to “Edit” and click on “Copy”. The text you just copied is called “Token”.
- Go to HTCdev website, at the Bottom of the third page of instructions of Unlocking Bootloader you’ll find “My Device Identifier Token:” field. Paste the “Token” in that field and click on “Submit”.
- You’ll receive an Email containing the Unclock Code Binary File (a “.bin” file). Download it.
- Put the downloaded file in the SDk directory.
- Type “fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin” in the Command Prompt.
- Now you’ll see a disclaimer, just accept it and your device will be Unlocked.
I hope this guide to unlock bootloader of HTC EVO will be helpful. In case of any problem, comment below.